Sunday, October 21, 2012

Step Backwards!

Did you know they celebrate Backwards Day on January 31st?

Well, I decided last week's Preschool Pretend & Play theme would be Step Backwards because I saw some cute picture books. One was the AlphaOops! The Day that Z Went First by Alethea Kontis and the other was Previously by Allan Ahlberg. Also, Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reversible Verse by Marilyn Singer was very cool, but I did not use it for this program.

I used AlphaOops! last time for our Crazy Alphabets theme, so I didn't use that book either!

So, I started out by setting up the storytime room backwards. It was kind of funny because the parents and kids sat down on the carpet the normal way so their backs were towards me. Then I greeted everyone with "Good-bye! Thanks for coming! You did a great job today!" It took them a little while to catch on. One little boy starting walking out the door! It was funny!

We danced to Laurie Berkner's "I Really Love to Dance"- we walk backwards in that song. Then I read Tell Me the Day Backwards by Albert Lamb and part of Previously. We danced to our "Penguin Song" as usual.

Then we did some sequencing!
I passed out envelopes with 3 sequencing cards in them. These were printed from the book Make and Take Sequencing Fun. The adults and children talked about the sequence of the cards and what would happen if we went backwards! We had 3 different sequencing envelopes for them to try.

We read Silly Sally by Audrey Wood which the kids loved! And we ended with The Wiggles' "Monkey Dance" because we jump to the front and back!

The craft was silly animals made from different parts of animals!

No comments:

Post a Comment