Monday, January 31, 2011

The Letter Monster

I like to begin storytime with an alphabet activity. One fun idea that I got from The Mailbox magazine, which I use all the time, is the Letter Monster. So, BLFs, you definitely can do this at home! Leave Letter Monster in the kitchen and work on letters during breakfast or lunch or dinner!




During storytime, I had a Letter of the Day and I had some pictures that started with that letter and some that did not. My LLFs were able to come up to the board and pick a picture that started with that letter and feed it to the Letter Monster! Gasp!! Munch, munch, munch....some little fingers were nibbled on for sure! Now, if someone tried to feed the Letter Monster a word that did not start with the letter of the day, the Letter Monster spit it out! Patooee! MY LLFs had lots of fun!


I had a different colored mailbox each week to practice colors, too! Inside the mailbox was the letter of the day and this is the song we sang:


Let’s look inside the orange mailbox, orange mailbox, orange mailbox
Let’s look inside the orange mailbox,
And see the letter of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment