Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Six Skills of Early Literacy-Day by Day

Letter Knowledge
This is understanding that each letter has its own name and sound. Sing alphabet songs! I know you know your ABCs, but next time won't you sing another song with me? Dr. Jean has some wonderful alphabet and letter sound songs. Sounds Like Fun by Discovery Toys (look up video at youtube) and Jack Hartmann has some fun ones too. (My colleague, Michelle R., a creative educator always looking for fresh ideas, shared these with me a number of years ago and I love them. So, a shout out to her!)

BLFs- put the magnetic letters on the fridge. Use them in the car with a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Point out the first letter in your child's name. "That sign starts with an 'S' just like Sam!"

Of course, use books! There are some wonderful alphabet books available. I just ordered an activity book and I thought it was a great idea that you could easily make at home. There were "roads" in the shape of letters and your little one drives on the road with a toy car in the shape of the letter! Fun! Perfect for boys who tend to be "kinesthetic learners" and learn best by moving their bodies. Melissa & Doug have a great ABC puzzle that announces the letter when the piece is placed in the puzzle.

Now, I know my ABCs!

No comments:

Post a Comment